March 31, 2009

American Idol - Top 9

I just realized that I don't have solitaire games on the Mac.  What's up with that?  I have chess.  I like to play games while I'm watching TV, so I just pulled up chess.  Let's all be honest, I don't have any idea how to play chess.  I'm just moving pieces all sorts of ways.  

So back to our regularly scheduled programing; the theme this week is any top download on iTunes?  I'm interested to see what they choose without a real genre holding them back.  

01 Anoop Desai - "Caught Up" by Usher.  I don't know this song.  I don't know that it's doing a lot for me.  I think he's saying "homies" too much for me.  It's not enough melody for me, but whatever.  My favorite backup singers sounded a little weak tonight, too.  I agree with Randy - the vocals were good, it just wasn't the right song for him.  I also agree with Kara - he played it safe and didn't do enough vocal riffs.  Paula just said "balladeer" - that could be the highlight of her night.  Simon thinks it was a mess because Anoop came across as a wannabe, and I sorta agree.  

02 Megan Joy - "Turn Your Lights Down Low" by Bob Marley/Lauryn Hill.  Strangely, I don't know this song, either.  That's disappointing.  Maybe it's BECAUSE I don't know it, but it's not great for me.  It feels like it's too low for her, and she's having to push through the break in her voice.  It was, in the words of my great friend, "not quite good."  I agree with the judges - not fun, monotonous, and not the right choice.  

Can I please also point out that the judges keep saying "falsetto" for girls?  That's not right.  Girls don't have falsetto. 

03 Danny Gokey - "What Hurts The Most" by Rascal Flatts.  Sweet!  I know this song!  And I love it!  Has anyone seen the video for this song?  It is SO. SAD.  I don't know how he can sing this song without breaking down.  And even though I think he's singing the fire out of this song, I feel like I can tell there are places that aren't as smooth as we've heard from him in the past.  It's how I would imagine an emotional bubble affecting his voice...call me crazy.   I don't know that I agree fully with Simon that it was Danny's best performance, but it was a ton better than the first two.  

04 Allison Iraheta - "Don't Speak" by No Doubt.  I think Gwen Stefani is a great vocal choice for her.  I think she can sing for sure.  It's not blowing me away, but only because I don't think it's anything NEW.  It still sounded like No Doubt to me.  Let's pause - Randy just commented on her outfit.  I agree with Kara - it wasn't her best, but it was good.  She tried too hard.  

05 Scott MacIntyre - "Just The Way You Are" by Billy Joel.  I don't think that Scott really needs to "strip things down" anymore.  I'm so bored by him.  It's such a pretty melody that, sadly, I don't think he can carry.  And who in their right mind did that to his hair?!  There are some pretty good parts, and there are some parts that make me clench my muscles.  I don't want him just the way he is.  I'm sorry.  That vibrato just drives me a little nuts.  I KNEW the judges would love it, but I just don't agree.  

06 Matt Giraud - "You Found Me" by The Fray.  I don't like this song.  It is absolutely ALL OVER the radio station(s) in town, but I refer to it as the "I hate God" song.  If someone can explain to me how it is ok for it to be played on the Christian radio stations, I would greatly appreciate it.  I just can't make it work.  I don't think it started well for my friend Matt.  It was too low for him.  I like the little changes he made with his arrangement, but I don't think it was his strongest vocal at all.  It feels like he's just trying to sound like The Fray, instead of singing normally.  The judges and I are all on the same page.  I don't want him to go home, that's for sure. 

07 Lil Rounds - "I Surrender" by Celine Dion.  C'mon, girl.  I think she looks so pretty with her new hair.  And again, I think she can sing like crazy, but I would never have picked Celine for her.  I'm also going to make a conscious choice to believe that the pitch problems are just something awry with the cable feed...  Randy's right, though, she needs more swagger.  I definitely don't want her to go home, either, but I was not impressed.  

Awwwwwwwwwww, y'all, Lil's daughter is so cute!  She hugged Randy for DAYS.  Precious. 

08 Adam Lambert - "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry.  I knew he couldn't stay unplugged for long.  I'm really liking his groove.  I really like the verses.  I must say I'm growing a little weary of The Scream.  Overall, I think it was perfectly Adam.  The boy can sing the paint off the walls and I think he hit every note.  It was definitely not as boring as the rest of the show.  

09 Kris Allen - "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers.  Holy cow, he can play the piano, too?!  Dang.  No fair.  I love this song.  I love his cool, bluesy, jazzy arrangement.  And I'm sorry, but I just have to say it.  He is sexy.  I LOVED IT.  He had so much COOL going on!  I think it was beautiful and interesting, which is pretty much all I ever ask for from my musicians.  I'm so glad the judges love it as much as I did.  He gets my vote for sure.  

I think Megan will be on her way this week.  I also think Scott and maybe Anoop or Matt will join her in the bottom three.  Only time will tell...


2 comments:

Smoochiefrog said...

Anoop scared the snot out of me tonight. It was just wrong on so many levels.

Kacie said...

welll... I disagree with everyone about Matt, but I agree with you about everyone else! Kris... yeah, he used to be sort of preppy-high school kid, but now.... he's sexy!