March 17, 2009

American Idol - Top 11

I would like to start off this evening by saying that I made pasta salad tonight.  That's right, I said it.  I had all the ingredients and it just hit me.  I apologize for sticking my foot in my mouth earlier.  I take it back.  This pasta salad has bacon.

I just found out that this is country night.  YEE-HAW.  I am not afraid to say that I am a fan of the [good] country music.  And I just watched Randy Travis invite Carrie Underwood to join the Grand Ole Opry after she sang his song, "I Told You So."  (This is in her live video for the song, which she ROCKS, in case you haven't heard it.)  I'm excited to see what these kids do with the genre.  

01 Michael Sarver - "Ain't Goin Down Til The Sun Comes Up" I love this song.  I wouldn't have sung something so lyric-heavy on this show, as I favor more melody-heavy songs.  But I think this song rocks, and he sounds good on it.  Um, I don't like that he added a cheesy !key change!  I also think he didn't quite have the lungs to sing all of that, but it was pretty good.  The judges miss the big singer notes, as did I.  

I will now go on record so far this season and tell everyone - DON'T TALK BACK TO THE JUDGES WHEN IT'S NOT YOUR MOMENT ANYMORE.  That irks me, people.  

02 Allison Iraheta - "Blame It On Your Heart" I love this song, too.  I think Patty Loveless is so fun!  I liked Allison singing it better in her rehearsal with Randy, when she wasn't pushing the rocker voice so hard.  But overall I think it's a good song (a little mad) for her gritty voice.  I like her and I think she can sing for real, even though there were a couple of parts where it felt like she was out of breath or it was too low.  I don't know if I'll call in my vote for her, but I liked it.

03 Kris Allen - "To Make You Feel My Love" Ohmygosh I love this song, too!  I just heard it on the radio randomly the other day.  It'd been a long time (since "Frequency" - anyone?) and I was reminded of how pretty it is.  Ooh.  He's so cute, and he's got a little of that hotness going on singing this song.  Delish.  I honestly thought he used his guitar as a little bit of a crutch because he wasn't that great of a singer, but I think he sounds so good on this song.  I love it.  Paula called it pitchy?  I'm not sure about that.  Simon and the rest of the judges loved it.  Thank you. 

04 Lil Rounds - "Independence Day"  This is a huge song.  Bless her heart, learning it in a week!  I think it's sweet of her to admit that she doesn't rock the country, but she wants to try and do it justice.  Just sing it out, girl; tell me about the day of reckoning, bff...  Country is definitely not her genre, but she can definitely sing.  It was just okay for me, because it just seemed awkward.  I love her for trying it, though.  Y'all, HAHAHAHA, Simon just called her LITTLE.  Also, I wish the judges would stop suggesting other songs for her - too little, too late, fools!

Is anyone else nervous about Paula maybe losing control of her upper half in that dress?  

05 Adam Lambert - Okay, Adam and Randy...AWKWARD!  "Ring Of Fire" My first thought is CREEPTASTIC.  But I actually think that, aside from the weird factor, it's awesome.  It was NOT country at all, and hardcore Cash fans are probably going nuts.  I, however, am not a hardcore Johnny Cash fan, so I think it was perfectly Adam.  I feel the exact same as Kara: "It was strange, but I liked it!  It left me confused and sort of happy!"  

06 Scott MacIntyre - "Wild Angels"  I think Scott is a terrific piano player.  I still do not love his voice.  I'm not as familiar with this song, but it feels like old karaoke to me.  I'm just saying.  I'm uncomfortable with the judges' bickering.  I want Paula and Simon to stop having fights in front of the kids.  I agree with them overall, though, that he needs to step it up.  

07 Alexis Grace - "Jolene"  I think it's a good song choice for her, and I think the interaction between Alexis and Randy was sweet.  I think she sang it well, but it didn't blow me away.  It felt a little forced to me.  I think the judges are feeling the same, but it's just so awkward between us right now I can't even tell.  

08 Danny Gokey - "Jesus Take The Wheel" I'm going to start to sound like a broken record, but I just love listening to this boy sing.  I love the way he put his licks in there.  That boy has got some serious musical chops, y'all.  Also, I would be remiss if I didn't give him a shout out for giving Jesus the shout out.  He gets my vote!

09 Anoop Desai - "Always On My Mind"  Oh, Anoop, sing to me!  I really like it.  This song has such a sweet melody that, forgive me, I lose a little when Willie Nelson is singing it.  I love that Anoop just sang his heart out instead of trying for the cool factor.  He'll get my vote, too.  I'm with Randy - "That arrangement was dope, dude!" 

10 Megan Joy Corkrey - "Walking After Midnight" I think this is a GREAT choice for her unique voice.  There were a couple of notes that she didn't quite hit (her voice sounds scratchy), but I really liked the arrangement.  I still cannot stand to watch her perform with the spazzy thing.  She has the flu?  She's been in the HOSPITAL?  Dang.  She gets my vote just for that. 

11 Matt Giraud - "So Small"  This is a great song.  I had a God-moment with this song once, and it always takes me back to that moment...I have a soft spot.  I like Matt's arrangement.  He, too, is an exceptional pianist.  There were a few notes that didn't sound like they made it vocally, but I really like the feel.  (I think he connects with the songs and the audience so much better than his mini-me, Scott.)  I disagree with Simon with regards to the fact that Matt out-sang Danny, because I seriously doubt that.  But I did like it a lot.  So there.

I think there was some that were just okay, and some that were great.  Overall, I think Randy Travis did a GREAT job as a mentor.  He wasn't fluffy, but he was nice while he gave some really good advice.  Also, if Kara and Randy weren't there tonight I might have gone crazy over Paula and Simon.  Kara knows her stuff, y'all.  

So that's all I'm going to say.  I think that Michael, Alexis, and Scott may be in danger.  I'm hoping it's the latter two, but there's no telling.  

If you're reading this and you have thoughts, I'd love nothing more than to hear them.  (: 

Love and stuff,

4 comments:

Smoochiefrog said...

I was waiting for Paula to fall out of her dress. It just looked like it would happen at any minute.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Megan AND Paula looked like they could've used a little more support...

Sherri said...

Paula is really beginning to scare me...

Sturgmom said...

I think that Danny is a better SINGER than Matt, but I think Matt is a better MUSICIAN. At least based on the limited time we've seen them on TV. Does that make sense?