March 25, 2009

American Idol - Top 10

I promise I will try and blog about something besides TV as soon as I can think of something interesting that I'd like to share with the whole world. For now, though, you have my permission to go on thinking that I have no life! But I do.

I'm house sitting for friends who have a sweet HD TV, but [gasp!] no DVR! This makes it hard to fast forward through Paula. That smarts. Plus, I stayed at church too long (if there can be such a thing) and missed the beginning...stink.
I love Motown music, and I'm excited for our theme this week. Also, I heart Smokey Robinson. He's so sweet. Let's Get It On! (:

01 Matt Giraud - Man, I missed him! But I heard Simon say he's one of the frontrunners now, and that song suited his voice, so here's hoping it was good!

02 Kris Allen - "How Sweet It Is" Sounds good in rehearsal; pretty cool! Smokey was so nice to him! What in the world is he WEARING? I love the hook at the beginning. I love the vibe. I love the way he's singing it. He is quickly becoming one of my favorites. He is just PRE-SHUS. ROCKIN. Kara's right; he made that his own and did everything right for that song. I disagree with Simon when he said that, "to be a star, you have to be conceited." I love that Kris is not. I love Kris. He gets my vote tonight.

03 Scott MacIntyre - Is he wearing PINK SKINNY JEANS? What is up with the wardrobing tonight? I would like to go on record now and say that I am against man-skinny jeans. "You Can't Hurry Love" I like how he started, and I love his three backup singers; like his Pips! I still can't get over his piano skillz. It still feels karaoke to me, but mostly just because I don't love his voice.

04 Megan Joy [Corkrey] - "For Once In My Life" I would like to say right now that I LOVE Stevie Wonder. I'm not sure that I love her this week. I loathe it when they walk out into the audience. And may I say that she shouldn't be above the crowd in that dress? I don't know that she's really hitting it vocally for me on this song. I agree with Randy (and Kara, and Paula, and Simon) - "I didn't feel that one." It was a little too forced for her.

05 Anoop Desai - "Ooh Baby Baby" I like it when Anoop sings. I think he's got a great voice, and I think he's doing well on this song. It's not a "blow me away" kind of song, but I think it was really pretty and done well.

06 Michael Sarver - "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" Go on ahead and CHURCH IT UP, Michael! I love that gospel feel, but you gotta hit it! It's falling a little short of the mark for me. I don't think he's hitting all the notes he would like. MARK YOUR CALENDARS: I agree with Paula, that it felt Vegas-loungey. And -oof- I also agree with Simon, that Michael is "taking part in this competition," without a chance of winning.

07 Lil Rounds - I will admit, I have been looking forward to her singing some Motown since I heard that was the theme this week (and not just because she's black - but still). I'm thrilled. "Heat Wave" Work it! Smokey's right - she can sing the phone book and it will be good. It was nothing new and not super-exciting for me, but I still want to be her BFF. Y'all, Kara KNOWS WHAT SHE'S TALKING ABOUT. She's speaks the music language. She and Simon are both right - Lil gave an authentic tribute to Motown, but it wasn't enough for her to bust out her killer vocals.

08 Adam Lambert - "Tracks Of My Tears" I think it's really great that he got to ask Smokey what inspired him to write this song. His Zac-Efron-in-Hairspray hairdo is cracking me up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the unplugged set. I love it. I think that arrangement was amazing; so fresh and unexpected, but in a really good way. Oh, Guyliner...

09 Danny Gokey - "Get Ready" For reals y'all, this might not be a surprising arrangement, but he can sing anything. I am amazed by the subtle ways that he changes the melodies and/or rhythms in ways that WORK. He is an incredible singer, I don't care what anyone says.

10 Allison Iraheta - "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" I'm not as familiar with this song as with the others, but I do like the funk she's bringing. Man, that girl can SANG! I think she hit it. The judges do, too.

I cannot BELIEVE that Simon drew a mustache on Paula's face. But it's pretty funny. (:

Kris and Adam are my favorites from tonight. With the way they've done this "Top 13" it's really hard to pick the best-of-the-best. I really like it, because there's really no one that stinks! I think Michael and Scott and Megan Joy may be in trouble...

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Great Post! I agree with your bottom three. I feel bad that Scott is one of them, but I just don't think of him as "Idol Material". My guess is Megan goes tonight