April 14, 2009

American Idol - Top 7

Songs of the cinema, tonight?  This sounds like a fun theme.  It's interesting, at least!  Quentin Tarantino? - Hi, weird movies...I'm skeptical of you as a mentor.   
What have you got for us, kids?:

01 Allison Iraheta - "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing"  from Armageddon.  This feels like a perfect song choice for her.  A ballad, but edgy nonetheless.  I think it started off well, but for me it got really funky in the middle.  And when I say "funky, " I mean "she didn't hit her notes."  That's certainly out of character for her.  It felt disjointed and a little low?  It never quite got there for me.  Wasn't my favorite, but Paula and Simon love it?  She is FOR SURE the girls' best hope, but I just wasn't feelin it.  Maybe it sounded different through the TV.  That's always my fallback.  

02 Anoop Desai - "Everything I Do" from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.  Another ballad...I think Anoop's figured it out?  I also think Quentin was quite right; Anoop's gotta make it a little dirty.  I think this is such a pretty song.  I think he sang it very well.  Same ol' Anoop, I guess.  It's nothing I'll want to download later, but it's pretty.  

Is it just me, or does Randy look a little reminiscent of Charlie Brown with that sweater?  Just in blue...  (:  I bet it drives Simon CRAZY to not get to talk after each one.  I'm glad I still have Kara.

03 Adam Lambert - "Born to be Wild" from Easy Rider.  Oh, the guyliner is back en force.  I seriously don't see how anyone can beat him at this point.  He's not necessarily someone that I would like to listen to all the time (I sometimes grow weary of The Scream), but he is surely a brilliant vocalist.  My favorite quote ever: "You dare to dance in the path of greatness." -Paula  WHAT?  

04 Matt Giraud - "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" This is such a pretty song.  I like that he's getting back to the piano and putting his brilliant soul vibe back in there.  I think he totally lost it vocally in the big part of the song.  I prefer his easy falsetto.  It was a mixed bag for me.  

05 Danny Gokey - "Endless Love" I love his voice.  And I'm totally digging the harp on stage (that was for my mom).  I think I heard the first iffy note from him...but I quickly forgot it.  I really liked it.  I think it was really emotional for him and I do NOT know how he sang it.  I would love to see him bust out a totally unexpected arrangement soon.  Just once, at least.  

06 Kris Allen - "Falling Slowly" from Once.  I don't know this movie or this song.  But I know that I have a crush on Kris.  I think it started a little rough.  To me it feels sorta choppy.  It is really nice for me when he sings higher.  I think it was pretty good, but maybe too obscure of a song choice. 

07 Lil Rounds - "The Rose" OhmygoshIcan'twaittohearhergogospel.  I have been waiting for this moment for all my life.  I like that she kept it pretty at the beginning.  I think there are some really wonderful moments, but some of it felt just a touch off to me.  That hurts my feelings just a little bit.  Simon is right, though, it's not the Lil we came to love.  Lil's right, too, though...she did what she thought they wanted her to do.  

I do not want Lil to go home, but I think she was the weakest link.  I also think Matt and Anoop could be in danger.  I think Quentin actually added some nice constructive criticism for the singers.  

PEACE.  


No comments: